Department of Veterinary Science
This experiment was undertaken to answer the following questions:
1. Can the farmers of this state realize more from their wheat by feeding it to hogs, then by selling at present prices of for wheats and hogs?
2. Can wheat be profitability fed without some other food to form a balanced ration?
3. Will it pay to grind wheat as food for hogs?
4. How does wheat compare with corn and peas as food for hogs?
5. How does the quality of pork made from wheat compare with that made from corn, peas, and mixed food?
6. How does the average daily gain of hogs fed on an exclusive diet of wheat, corn peas; compare with that of hogs fed on mixed fods?
7.When should fattening begin and how long should it continue
swine, hogs, wheat, peas, corn
South Dakota Agricultural College and Experiment Station
Chilcott, E.C., "Feeding Wheat to Hogs" (1894). Research Bulletins of the South Dakota Agricultural Experiment Station (1887-2011). 38.