Department of Dairy Science
The establishment of a Dairy School in connection with the South Dakota Agricultural College and Experiment Station was authorized by the State Legislature of 1891. The sum of two thousand dollars was appropriated for the erection of suitable buildings and these were built and furnished with all necessary modern appliances and apparatus for instruction and experimental work. The Department was not furnished with cows, however, until May 15th, 1892, when eight Durham cows were transferred to it from the Department of Agriculture. Three of these were found to be unsuitable for dairy purposes, being inferior milkers and were sold. In March following, there were purchased four Holstein Friesians, two Devons, two Ayrshires, five Guernseys, five Jerseys and one grade cow, making in all twenty-four cows. All work before this time was conducted with much doubt and uncertainty because the Department had no control of the milk until received; but the results of which are given in this Bulletin with the hope that it may be of some benefit to the dairy farmers of the State as showing what may be done even under most unfavorable circumstances. Dairying is, comparatively speaking, a new industry in this state, and the writer is alive to the fact that any information giving reliable results under any and all conditions that are applicable to, or at all practical within this State is eagerly sought after by the people. This fact alone has induced the publication of the first part of this Bulletin.
dairy, milk, cream, dairy science
South Dakota Agricultural College and Experiment Station
Wheaton, A.H., "Milk Tests and Comparison Tables" (1894). Research Bulletins of the South Dakota Agricultural Experiment Station (1887-2011). 39.