Department of Botany and Entomology
Soon after the appearance of the first Bulletin from this Station announcing the results of the co-operative irrigation experiments in the James River Valley, it became evident that there was urgent need for experiments in drouth-resisting [sic] forage plants in the range regions of this state. Many requests were received from the stock men who were ranging their herds there, that such work should be done. The matter was thoroughly discussed at the home Station and the necessity was fully admitted. But, owing to a lack of funds, no progress was made. It was even urged by the stock men that a portion of the Hatch fund should be set aside for the purpose of establishing a Sub-Station on the divide between the James and Missouri rivers. Even had the home Station the money to spare, a ruling of the Secretary of Agriculture made it impossible thus to employ it. The next attempt to establish the range Station was made through the State legislature. A bill was drawn by the executive officers of the home Station .and presented to the legislature in 1897 by Hon. M. F. Greeley of Gary. This bill passed, but it was unfortunately amended so that the State did not appropriate the necessary funds. But the law ordered the Regents to set aside a portion of the Hatch fund for that purpose. Again, a ruling of the Secretary of Agriculture to the effect, that when the legislature had accepted the Hatch fund and designated the institution to which it should go, it had exhausted its functions, rendered the law a dead letter and the proposed Station was no nearer establishment than before. Here the matter rested until the winter of 1898-99.
forages, drought resistant forages, Highmore SD, Cooperative Range Experiment Station
U. S. Experiment Station of South Dakota, South Dakota Agricultural College
Shepard, J.H., "Drought-Resisting Forage Plants at the Co-Operative Range Experiment Station, Highmore, S. D." (1900). Research Bulletins of the South Dakota Agricultural Experiment Station (1887-2011). 66.
Department of Botany