Technical Bulletin 96
South Dakota has many different kinds of soils. To keep the characteristics and qualities of these soils in mind, grouping them systematically into a classification scheme is necessary. The classification of soils:
(1) aids in remembering characteristics of individual soils,
(2) clarifies relationships between soils,
(3) aids in discovering new facts,
(4) clarifies relationships between soils and their environment, and
(5) aids in a person's ability to predict properties of unknown soil based on similar, known soils.
South Dakota State University
Malo, D. D., "South Dakota Soil Classification Key" (2003). Agricultural Experiment Station Technical Bulletins (1939-2011). 9.