Thesis - Open Access
Master of Science (MS)
Wayne E. Hoogestraat
The purpose of this study was to determine the principal motivating factors in the decision of selected prominent South Dakota speech communication educators to enter the speech profession. More specifically, answers to the following questions were sought a:
(1) Who are the prominent, living persons from South Dakota who have significantly contributed to the field of public address?
(2) What were the significant accomplishments in the field of speech achieved by the selected subjects?
(3) What was the public school training of these persons?
(4) What was the secondary school training of these persons?
(5) What was the rhetorical training and preparation of these per sons?
(6) To what extent were these four persons exposed to public address?
(7) What was the influence of public addresses on the later careers of these persons?
(8) What events prompted the se persons to select speech as a major field of study?
(9) What were the decisive factors that prompted these persons to pursue higher education degrees in speech?
Library of Congress Subject Headings
Oral communication -- Study and teaching -- South Dakota.
Arnold, Carroll C.
Bormann, Ernest G.
McBurney, James H. (James Howard), 1905-1986.
Number of Pages
South Dakota State University
Tesch, Marie Louise, "Case Histories of Prominent Educators in Speech Communication with Origins in South Dakota" (1979). Electronic Theses and Dissertations. 5095.