Extension Special Series No. 11E
Two hazards that can result from misuse of electricity are SHOCK and FIRE. You can get an electric shock when electric current from a "live" or "hot" wire passes through you to what is called "ground." A "ground" can be anything that is connected to the earth and through which electricity can easily flow. For instance, if you are touching a water faucet and touch a live wire at the same time, you will receive a shock because the water faucet is a good electrical ground. Other good grounds include drain pipes, sinks, bathtubs, gas piping, damp concrete floors almost anything made of metal that is touching the earth. An electrical appliance can shock you if a loose wire inside touches the metal case or enclosure.
South Dakota State University
Service, Cooperative Extension, "Using Electricity Safely" (1970). SDSU Extension Special Series. 100.